Thursday, January 9, 2014

Exact Rhyme eats me

Simply put, im not a big fan of poems with exact meter and rhyme scheme. To me good poetry doesn't need to be sing-songy in order to be a success. In my opinion an exact rhyme scheme can even make certain pieces of poetry worse. If you take powerful language and contort it to mimic children's rhyme, it takes away its ability to command attention and take your breath away. The I found the most eloquent description of why rhyme can be detrimental to some poetry in Tobias Wolff's Old School. "'Rhyme is bullshit. Rhyme says that everything works out in the end. All harmony and order. When I see a rhymed in a poem, I know I'm being lied to. Go ahead, laugh! It's true--rhyme's a completely bankrupt device. It's just wishful thinking. Nostalgia'"

No comments:

Post a Comment