Friday, January 24, 2014

My Response to Elliot's criticism of Hamlet

I do not agree with T.S. Elliot's critique of Hamlet. This play is my favorite work of Shakespeare's, play poem or otherwise. Elliot makes the argument that because Hamlet does not have an object to display all of his honest emotions onto. This makes it impossible to know Hamlet's true intentions or true character. However I believe it has more to do with the complexity of Hamlet's character and less to do with a fundamental flaw on the part of the playwright . I believe this is a result of his new critical lens of analysis. If Elliot were to take a psychoanalytical lens for example he would've come to a completely new idea. He might have came up with the conclusion that Hamlet's inconsistencies were a result of his unstable psyche, as I concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment