Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy literature

I'm just realizing that most of what I consider to be fascinating literature is never centered around happiness. I would much rather read Sylvia Plath's "Daddy"  than Wordsworth's "I wandered lonely as a cloud" any day of the week. I don't feel that I am alone in this either. I don't know of many pieces of literature in the canon that are nice tales with happy. My theory is that people typically enjoy reading about things that they can relate to. People and feelings that they can identify with. Im not exactly an authority of the subject, but I can speculate that most people always strive for happiness in one way or another but few actually achieve it completely. This being the case, how may people could identify with a character that is living in a paradise

No comments:

Post a Comment