Thursday, January 9, 2014

Imagination and style relating to Bartleby

Reading Bartleby the Scrivener made me realize that I think two of the main things that can make a piece of literature great are imagination and style. I see Imagination as the creativity it takes to dream up an interesting story and decide what themes, and meanings go along with the story. In my opinion authors like J.K. Rowling and Tolkien made a career almost entirely off of their imaginative abilities. Style is a very different matter. it is the manner in which the story is written. a good style can bring to life even an extremely common place event. Hemingway is a good example of an author who can make an otherwise boring life event fascinating by the way it is told. Personally i find that I don't particularly like Bartelby the Scrivener because in my opinion, the story isn't very imaginative nor is the style very intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment